Spring is almost upon us and it's that special time of the year where we throw away our Winter Woollies and dive into the season of warmer weather and racing across the country. Not only does Spring welcome us to a refreshing world of new fashion and exciting race days, but it also invites us to wrap our hands around fresh new seasonal produce.
We've put together a list of some of the most popular cocktails that are perfect for that special spring backyard party at home or as a little treat before you hit the race track.
The Flemington Fling
A citrus zing adds to this refreshing cocktail, the perfect pairing for the races.
25ml fresh lime juice
1 wedge of lime (for garnish)
5 mint leaves
1 mint sprig (for garnish)
90ml Schweppes Agrum Blood Orange
1. Bruise the mint by slapping it in your hands to release its aromas and natural oils before adding it to a tall glass.
2. Add the vodka & lime juice
3. Top the glass with ice and the Schweppes Agrum Blood Orange and mix
4. Garnish with a wedge of lime and a sprig of mint
Ice Cold and minty fresh, traditionally served at the Kentucky Derby.
Leaves from 5 mint sprigs
1 1/2 tea spoons of sugar
1 sprig of mint (for garnish)
1. Muddle the mint leaves with the sugar and soda water in a tall glass
2. Add the bourbon
3. Fill the glass with crushed ice and stir
4. Garnish with a mint sprig
A vibrant mixture of colourful fruits and beautiful flavours, this cocktail is perfect for the warmer days.
15ml Apple Liqueur
45ml Ruby Red Grapefruit Juice
10ml Lemon Juice
3 lychees plus a dash of lychee syrup
1. Muddle the lychees and syrup in a cocktail shaker
2. Add the Gin, Liqueur and Grapefruit Juice. Fill with ice.
3. Shake well and strain into a chilled martini glass
4. Garnish with a fresh lychee.